7/3/16

Book Review: Getting Things Done

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free ProductivityGetting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book a lot, even though there were some rough patches. By page 40, I actually put the book down and started implementing some of the common sense tactics that David Allen describes. He does mention that he repeats a lot and while that's true, I felt that helped. The Getting Things Done (GTD) system is really, really great. Once I started practicing the method, I noticed better results, less stress and more control over my work.

One thing I will share is that while I gave this four stars, I think a lot of people might find it boring. Even I was a little bored at some parts and I LOVE reading about productivity. It's a really great system and if you can keep with it, I do suggest finishing it, because there are a couple really strong chapters at the end.


View all my reviews

Some notes:
  • Choose one project that is new or stuck or could simply use some improvement. Think of your purpose. Think of what a successful outcome would look like ... Brainstorm potential steps. Organize your ideas. Decide on next actions. Are you any clearer about where you want to go and how to get there? p. 63
  • "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific." ~Lily Tomlin p. 71
  • The more novel the situation, the more control required. p. 188
  • Checklists at all levels: job duties, annual goals, weekly reviews, training, people to stay in touch with, year end (FY and CY). p. 189 
  • Get clear, current or creative. p. 195
  • Things that have your attention need your intention engaged. p. 268
  • You can create the right placeholder for any type of potentially meaningful data. p. 294

No comments: