8/20/16

Book Review: Dog Songs

Dog SongsDog Songs by Mary Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wish I could give this book more than five stars. Since my father passed away, I have considered death and dying so much more seriously. This book took me back to all my dogs and reminded me of the love I had for all of them. And frankly, it reminded me of all the love that they had for me. It did not matter we were poor. It did not matter that perhaps we didn't always share the happiest of times. Those dogs showed our family unconditional, wild love. I love each and every one of those doggies.

If you are hurting from a loss of a dog, read this book. The poetry touched my heart in so many ways and pulled a few tears from my eyes. This is what poetry does. Like dogs, it reminds us that there is still something wild inside us, love. Love is so natural and real and burns into the very being of us as humans. It is joyous, yes. But once love is gone, taken by death, it hurts.

This book, I believe, can help us heal when we hurt. The memories that we hold close keep the spirits of the departed with us forever.


View all my reviews

No comments: