6/26/16

Book Review: Manhattan Transfer

Manhattan TransferManhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is set in the 1920's in New York City. It really captures the Jazz Age through a story full of characters that are all acquainted in one way or another. There are a couple tales that capture the fall from grace that some people experienced as the banks started failing. It also takes place over about 20 years. As a classic, I liked this novel. It was interesting and it certainly took me back to Prohibition New York. It's a little tough to read because, well, it came out in 1925, but also because sometimes the narration of the story digresses into a dreamy internal dialogue. Also, while there are line breaks between the stories within paragraphs, the character perspectives would change right in the middle of a section. Still, I enjoyed the book. It was dark, but in a subtle way.


View all my reviews

No comments: