12/7/13

Book Review: Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice
By David Sedaris

All I knew about David Sedaris is that he was regarded as hilarious by lots of people I respect and admire. They spoke of hearty belly laughs and tears caused by mirth as they read. Well, I finally confirmed that indeed Mr. Sedaris IS freaking hilarious. Was that almost a rhyme? I think it was.

Holidays on Ice was part of a recent trip to the library after I was frustrated with the books I had on hand at home. I looked up the ole Pinterest Reading list and planned my reading bounty. I figured Holidays on Ice would be a perfect December read and intro to the author.

It is a small book, but it packs a lot of entertainment punch. The "SantaLand Diaries" is probably one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life. I'm told that Sedaris's reading of it on This American Life is wonderful and I can't wait to make some time for that. I love his voice on the page, his humorous perspective on the mundane and his natural creativity. This was another one of those books that made me ashamed I'm not writing every single day.

Anyways, I loved this holiday-themed essay treat and highly recommend it! I also look forward to getting into more of Sedaris's books.

No comments: