1/8/18

The "Why" Statement

Why do I do what I do? 
  • Is it to collect a paycheck? No, but that is a benefit of what I do.
  • Is it because I'm a total UM fan girl? No, but that helps.
  • Is it due to the experience that I had? That others had? Now we're getting somewhere.
The reason that I do what I do for a living is to change peoples lives for the better through education. Whether I'm wearing my fundraiser hat or my librarian hat, my goal is to empower and transform people through education.

This might seem broad, but it's actually the very core of why I do what I do. I have been changed and transformed by the experiences and knowledge gained at UM-Dearborn. Many have. It is critical to me that others are able to unlock their own potential. In my heart and soul, I believe that UM-Dearborn and the library are where that can happen.

I came back to this today because I returned to work after a LONG vacation and I just needed to get myself pumped up. My break was wonderful and even though I love my work, there's always a pinch of dread having to again wake up again at an early hour and get back to the grind. I am in a class right now and one of the instructors suggested to go back to your why statement for this and other reasons, such as:
  • Addressing something at work frustrates you
  • The need to prioritize your to-do list
  • Having a low-energy day
What is your why statement? I recommend trying to write it out. My first draft was full of drivel and tangents, but after refining and being true to myself and my goals, that's at the core of what kind of work I choose to do in this short life.

No comments: