7/17/14

The Art of FieldingThe Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I liked this book well enough, but I thought the end was sort of lazy and unrealistic. Actually, very unrealistic now that I think back on it. Also, there were a couple character interactions that I felt really didn't contribute to the story and felt forced. However, I did actually like most of the characters and the slippery plot they were involved with. The dialogue was good and this book really had a good mix of humor and darkness - all the ingredients for a good baseball story.

The story was set in a Midwestern college town in Wisconsin, so it was definitely a setting I enjoyed. It was also a tale told in the modern era, something that I'm not accustomed to in my fiction baseball readings. There were tales of heroes, forbidden love, casual love and, of course, baseball. There's a trip to Nationals and then the ending, which as I've mentioned, I wasn't crazy about. I didn't get through this book quickly, but I probably should have. The reading was quick and the chapters were short. The book was good, but not as good as most of my other baseball reads.



View all my reviews

No comments: