10/1/08

Tired Cops = Bad Idea

From Detroit Free Press: To cut costs, Harper Woods cops could work 24-hour shifts

It hasn't been implemented, but it's being explored. As far as I'm concerned, it has "bad idea" written all over it. I thought Oakland County's 10-hour workweek was questionable, but this is way ridiculous. I have provided two lines of thinking.

Decisions:
  • when one is tired, decision-making is not at its peak
  • cops must make very quick decisions throughout their day
  • sometimes those decisions involve use of weapons
  • bad decisions when weapons are involved lead to trouble (read lawsuits)
  • bad decisions are more likely when one is tired
Moods:
  • when one is tired, mood can turn sour
  • when mood turns sour, punching someone in the face (or another physical reactions) seems like a good idea
  • bad decisions involving punching citizens in face (or other physical reactions) also lead to trouble (read lawsuits)
OK, so I understand everyone is strapped for money, but this does NOT sound like it's worth the supposed $150,000 overtime savings. The article mentions how medical interns/residences also have to work through 24-hour shifts, but I think that's absurd, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. Yeah - bad idea. And the mention of medical residents working 24 hour shifts, well, many hospitals have been trying to limit those long shifts now!

I don't know about you, but I'm not doing my best work by hour 18 - I can't imagine having a gun or taser in hand would have an pluses!