1/25/19

To a new year, new era and new ways of thinking

Today we talk about no limits in writing and listening.

This post should have happened at the end of the year, or maybe right at the beginning of the new one. It should have been robust, maybe broken up into multiple posts. Maybe I should have proofread more. Maybe I should have perfected every bit of the prose and appeased the grammar goons. Instead, I just freaking wrote it and forgot to publish it.

Yet that is not what my New Year intention was. One of my most important intentions this year was to write. And not just write, but to:
  • Write all the time and about every topic.
  • When I don't have a topic, come up with one, because this life is full of endless splendor and suffering and everything in between. 
  • Come up with words. Because "I can't even" and "I have no words" are not what writers are about. We have to articulate and HAVE THE WORDS.
  • Write everywhere; it will help with writing all the time. In the past, I wanted to make sure my work stuff was in my journal designated for work. My trivia notebook was strictly for trivia. My personal journal could never have notes on work. I stopped taking notes because I was being overwhelmed by pieces of paper. I didn't know where my digital notes where. Well, you know what, not writing things down is crap. I will find the notes. I will learn from them. I will lose the notes, and find them again. I will never, ever regret writing something down again, and I will never limit myself to where I write. 
Through this commitment to myself, that I will write come hell or high water, I discovered a way to support another resolution. I have a whole pile of those. Some resolutions are perennial - reading more, writing more, working out. This second specific one, though, it's special. And I think I'm doing okay. The second resolution is LISTENING.

Now that I have liberated my writing, I realize that writing is one of the ways I listen. Phew, having a lot of breakthroughs these last ten or so months. It's a lot to take in, but I feel better, stronger and more empowered every day.

No comments: