6/11/17

Etymology: Analytics

For a long time, whenever I typed the word "analytics" I would see a red squiggle indicating a spelling error. I figured the word must have been new, but it's been around since the late 1500s.

But not the definition that I was thinking of analytics as:
n. The collation and analysis of data or statistics, esp. by computer, typically for financial or commercial purposes; the data that results from this; (also) software used for this purpose.
This definition is very recent compared to the one used in philosophy:
  • 1966 - Econ. & Polit. Weekly 15 Oct. 377/1   A correct conclusion from the analytics of comparative statics.
  • 1980 - Amer. Banker (Nexis) 25 July   Understanding the analytics, setting servicing standards, and selling the system to branch operating folks.
  • 2001 - Financial Times 27 Jan. 9/7 (advt.)    All the features active traders need, including news, charts, analytics and direct trading capabilities.
  • 2009 - A. Kaushik Web Analytics 2·0 xiii. 394   In the last few years I have implemented at least 25 analytics tools on my blog.

No comments: