11/25/16

Why I give - Day 4 - The world needs more good. Like, a lot more.

This has been a pretty rough 2016 for a lot of people. In the past, when I have felt that things are grim in my own life, I would read about horrific history to remind myself that things could always be worse. I would read nonfiction about World War II, fiction about the early years of the meatpacking industry. In the last four years or so, I have had enough tragedy in my life where I pulled away from engaging in depressing literature and history.

But now I'm back. I am reading about the Bloodlands of Europe, where I'm learning much more about Stalin than I ever knew - whoa. And I'm being reminded that there is some scary historical shit that is happening right now in the United States of America. I will spare you my intellectual history ramblings, but the long and short of it is this: there is some serious hatred in the world today and it appears society is close to normalizing it.

So, in addition to getting back to reading humanity's gruesome details, I want to start giving to causes that are most important to me. Millennials, the generation of which I am part of, tend to give to 3-5 nonprofits, so I'm a bit behind as most of my giving is to the university. 

But there are many other organizations that do great work and there are great places to donate to. I want to be part of the good that overcomes evil. I want young people to know their rights. I want LGTBQ folks to feel loved and not scared. I want all people to know the power of literacy and have access to learning and reading. Hell, the fact that my State of Michigan is trying to argue that literacy is not a fundamental right might be the fire that I needed to take action. Literacy SHOULD be a fundamental right. All of the sudden, law school sounds like a pretty swell idea.

But I digress, for there are many great nonprofit organizations that do wonderful and worthy work. It is time for me to start giving to additional causes, for the world needs more good.

No comments: