11/22/16

Why I give - Day 1 - Lifestyle of generosity and gratitude.

Philanthropy is a lifestyle to me.  I feel that I have been given much in my life: unmatched love and support from my parents, a perfect friend and partner in my husband, a great network of colleagues and friends who are like family. I am in awe of how much the people in my life have made it better.

I don't tend to quote the Bible much, but this passage always stuck with me. I first saw an iteration of it in the Detroit Red Wings locker room back when I was a college intern.
From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and from him who has been entrusted with much, even more will be demanded. Luke 12:48 
People have been good to me. A good reference, a tip on a job, a wordless, teary hug - this is a small sample of gifts I've received from others. People are naturally good. They give love, money, time. When I think about all of people's blessings bestowed upon me, gratitude manifests into giving back. It is a wonderful cycle.

No comments: