6/1/16

Book Review: 11/22/63 by Stephen King

11/22/6311/22/63 by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

11/22/63 by Stephen King
While I really enjoyed this book, I thought it could have been 300 pages shorter. For the first 2/3's of this book, I fell soundly asleep multiple times. However, the last 1/3 of the book really picked up pace and really had me captivated. I really like Uncle Stevie and his writing, I just wish he'd tighten up the writing. What do I know? HE'S the wealthy, popular and prolific author - not me. Anyway, happy to finally finish this fatty. Anyway, happy to finally finish this fatty. I really have to stop picking such hulking books. They put me behind on my reading every year, it seems. I still really liked this book. A little time travel never hurt nobody. AND Uncle Stevie drizzled in a little bit of dystopia. Nice.

Here are some passages I jotted down:
"Business is like a god in '58--everybody worships it but nobody understands it." (p 92)

"We never know which lives we influence, or when, or why. Not until the future eats the present, anyway. We know when it's too late." (p 454)

"He did it [listened] as the world's more charming and magnetic people do, always asking the right questions at the right time, never figeting or taking his eyes from the speaker's face, making the other guy feel like the most knowledgeable, brilliant and intellectually savvy person on the planet." (p 494)

"For a moment everything was clear, and when that happens you see the world is barely there at all. Don't we all secretly know this?" (p 615)

Couple words I learned:

obdurate adj. - unmoved by persuasion, pity or tender feelings; stubborn, unyielding

elan n. - dash, imetuous ardor

No comments: