7/25/15

Year of Gratitude & Book Review - Day 206 - Life as we knew it

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1)Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was suggested to me a few years back and I recently saw it on a "Books you can't put down" list. It was indeed a very quick read, but I generally attribute that to young adult literature. Sometimes people are confused as to why I read so much literature dealing with dystopian worlds, miserable existences and the end of humanity. The reason is, and has been, that it makes me appreciate what I have and it makes me think about what it would be like if I DIDN'T have that.  That is definitely what this book did for me. This book is perfect for my year of gratitude.

This book is a work of fiction told through Miranda Evans's diary. She is a 16 year old girl in Pennsylvania and her entire world begins to change dramatically when the moon is struck by an asteroid. At first people celebrate, but then it's discovered that the asteroid pushed the moon closer to earth, causing earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and then knocking everyone off the grid. The family stays together and survives in the best way they know how. It is a part of a series and I'm not going to lie, I think I might want to continue with the series.

This book made me think deeply about my parent's love. It made me also think deeply about how fragile human life is. Back in 2003 when there was a major power outage, there was a day of celebration, then of quiet, then of slight panic that the lights weren't on. They came back on, but that was taste of how people would react. Of course, a power failure is not quite the same as a monumental natural disaster, but it was still a very sobering story.


View all my reviews

No comments: