2/25/14

Book Review: Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Rich Dad Poor Dad
by Robert T. Kiyosaki

My friend bought this book for me and has been begging me to read it so we can talk about it. I finally picked it up and found it to read very quickly and I was done in two sittings. It can definitely be done in one. 

This book has been on my radar a long time because of my working at the library. Kiyosaki's book is very accessible, which I'm sure is a large reason why the book appears on high school summer reading lists. My opinion on this book is very mixed. I think in the end I liked it, but had some general discontents.

Discontents:
  • Reads like a sales book, but that's to be expected.
  • Sort of reminded me of The 4-hour Workweek, which I really didn't like and lost interest within a chapter or two. It sort of has that "Get Rich Quick" feel. I hate that crap.
  • Poorly written. The quality is that of Twilight. OK, maybe not that bad, but Kiyosaki admits in the book that he is no writing wiz. It gets repetitive, too, which is probably why it reads so quick.
  • Kiyosaki really, really simplifies getting rich. I mean, he makes it sound like any old hobo off the street can get a book about investing and grow their asset column. Yet, I'm probably the cynic that he talks about in the book. 
Which brings me to why I think in the end I liked Rich Dad Poor Dad. Throughout the whole book, he clearly talks about the differences in mindset, attitude and decision-making between rich and poor. He always talks about education, constant learning and financial literacy. The book stays vague enough so he can write more books and get more rich. Yet, I think Kiyosaki really loves making money and I appreciate how honest he is. His tone seems genuine. In the end, I was reminded of old lessons and got some inspiration to learn more about the science of money, as he puts it.

Because it was a fast read, I only jotted down two passages from the book. Their simplicity, message and style are a good representation of the book. 

"Before I finally learned to ride a bike, I first fell down many times. I've never met a golfer who has never lost a golf ball. I've never met people who have fallen in love who have never had there heartbroken. And I've never met someone rich has never lost money." p. 133
"I'm always shocked at people who buy stocks or real estate, but never invest in their greatest asset, their mind." p. 153

No comments: