9/23/09

Lessons from a month or so of management

I recently got a promotion. It has been awesome. The position is one of the managerial kind and it's just a whole different world, but it keeps me engaged, busy and on my toes at all times. I'm pretty sure I'll blog more about this or even start a series of "5 things I'm grateful for: manager editions." However, I have learned some things. I'm a rookie and here's what (I think) rookie managers should know:
  1. You should listen to Manager Tools podcasts. I know the intro music is cheesy, but the stuff these guys talk about is absolutely priceless advice. No seriously, it's free. The hosts actually recommend that your employees listen, too! I'm very interested in these guy's professional development opportunities (geez, that sounded kinda' corporate - sorry!) But really, I am.
  2. Lunch. Yeah. If it's your first time being a manager I recommend you just eat a big a** breakfast for the first month. I say that because if you are into a project you shouldn't let food ruin your focus. When you step into a leadership role and are bursting with ideas, focus on those and tell lunch to piss off. There's one exception for your first month: lunch is acceptable in the case of meeting your peers. So pick up the phone, call a colleague and learn about the organization.
  3. You will forget things. This is also known as "stuff might be overlooked." It really doesn't matter how organized you think you are. Something won't work out one day and it will seem like the end of the world. However, you got to where you are for a reason and no, in fact, it's not the end of the world. (Sidenote: don't mess it up twice, though.)
  4. Having mentors is essential. If you have 'em, count your lucky stars. For you that don't, dish out the dough for a professional organization and get into a network. Students: GET INVOLVED WITH STUDENT GROUPS. If you want to get your money's worth out of school - get yourself in a student group.
  5. Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments: