12/29/08

Book Review: Elements of Style

The Elements of Style
by William Strunk and E.B. White

In his book On Writing, Stephen King basically said that only good writers, the naturals, can become great writers. I don't know if I agree, because I think there's a lot of ways to improve your writing. Strunk and White covered all the fundamentals in this tiny writing treasure.

I'm disappointed in myself that this is the first time I read Elements of Style. It is a very concise reference tool that is easily read and makes grammar enjoyable. It also is a surefire way to start enriching your writing immediately. I've been writing since the fifth grade in multiple capacities, but when I finished this book I identified a million ways to tighten up my writing.

Although I love On Writing Well by William Zinsser, I think that this little dose of concentrated knowledge is the best writing book I've ever read. It's a handy little book and it reads very quickly, making it the perfect annual refresher for any writer.

No comments: