9/23/08

What to read next?

I know that I'm going to immerse with Dante's epic poetry, but I must mix something else in. I don't want to go mad.

My buddy Christine once blogged that giving a librarian a reading suggestion is sort of like giving a doctor medical advice. I agree, but I think I see the end of my "location" reading and I need ideas. First there was India, then Chicago, currently New York City. My last stop in this "location" reading is California; I'm thinking Los Angeles, specifically Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. It s seems a little long, but I really like the excerpt I heard from an iTunes interview with the author. I'm a little weary. Partly because this guy fibbed in his book Million Little Pieces, but I figure this is a fiction book, so no harm no foul, right? However, I also read a pretty bad review about it in the L.A. Times. In the same breath, I found a good review in the New York Times, which is a paper I'll pick over most others. I found it interesting how Frey just gushed over how L.A. is the cultural capital of the United States. Even thought I really did not care for Frey in the interview, his writing really got my attention. We'll see.

After I get passed California, I want a new direction in my reading. I think I'm going for a miscellaneous pick: Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. After that, I don't know...

I don't want it to be a location, so what is YOUR suggestion for a topic? Should I continue on to Stephen King's Dark Tower? Should I go genre and read an urban fiction book? Should I pick a country and read one of it's best known authors? Perhaps throw a dart at at a classics list? Eeeeek, or should I grab a non-fiction slice?

I'd love to hear suggestions. Here's a couple I received:
  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
  • Beautiful Children
  • Ishmael
  • Fountainhead
I know, a couple of those are kind of heavy. With keeping in mind I'll be working on the Divine Comedy, tell me where would you take my reading?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eva,

For the opposite direction of Dante, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Pulitzer Prize finalist.

Or, to stay in history, De Profundis by Oscar Wilde. I've never read anything like it. Written to his estranged lover while in prison for said choice of lover, it might be summarized something along this line: "Dear Alfred, please find attached 85 pages summarizing why you're a terrible human being. Your affectionate friend, Oscar."