8/5/08

History through Poetry

Lately, I've been enjoying lots and lots of poetry. I just picked up "The Straits" from a buddy of mine. It's a book about Detroit by Kristin Palm, who lived here for about a half decade, fell in love with the city, fell out of love with the city and then wrote an epic poem about the city. It's ok. My friend said it was "nothing earth-shattering," but it was deliciously historical. The author herself described it as a "docu-poem" and I would say that's pretty accurate. It helped surface some interesting facts, blurbs quotes and emotions of the day. All and all, it was well researched and sufficiently enjoyable.

In the same day, I read the poem by Matthew Dickman called Trouble. The beginning of the poem makes one think it's going to be sort of trashy, talking about the suicides of Marilyn Monroe and Marlon Brando's daughter. Those initial lines made me think, "Why am I still reading?" Yet, this poem covers all sorts of trouble and is about all sorts of people. And all of their trouble ends with their own doom. Very interesting. Nothing earth-shattering, but interesting nonetheless.

No comments: