5/2/08

Simplicity: A little change for a big result

Lately, I've been appreciating the fantastically simple.

A few examples:
  • Simply Perfect. I have been reading great fiction by Ray Bradbury. His writing moves you in huge emotional directions with very short, concise, but always poetic prose. And it's the subtleties of his characters that makes them so very real: the way they speak, to themselves and to others to how they feel to how the air around them smells. I will have an entire blog devoted to his novel Dandelion Wine, which I haven't even finished yet. This book has been an impetus for my writing lust.
  • Simple Advice. Sit. Chip Scanlan's recent blog is great, short, simple and repeating a very regular, but important part of the writer's job: sitting.
  • Simple cooking. I've been enjoying a lot of vegetable and the different flavors they make. I can't afford meat, so that works out well. Also, yogurt (plain and low-fat) with some granola is a mixture fit for the Gods.
  • Simple exercise. I thought of two separate exercise examples. Everyone at work is getting ready to help with the Relay for Life. Everyone can walk, hence, everyone can help. The other simple exercise example was taking stairs at work. Believe it or not, but I got this message from this Ad Council ad.
  • Which brings me finally to: Simple messages. I read and reviewed a great nonfiction book called Made to Stick. Much like this post, the book is based on simplicity. Simplicity leads to a messages stickiness. The Ad Council found a way to make taking the stairs stick in my head, which later on (a few months later) I actually took action on.

No comments: