5/8/08

Have big kids? Try getting them out of the house.

I'm 25 years old, but when I was a kid I loved the outdoors. I rode my bike, played basketball, softball, catch, four-square...I took walks, rollerbladed (poorly, but I tried), smacked a tennis ball against my garage, walked my dog, played hacky-sack at Henry Ford Estate, went to the beach, played volleyball at the beach, went hiking, camping...all of that stuff. As you can see, it wasn't that long ago that I was a kid. Every activity I mentioned can still be done, but these activities are done MUCH less than when I was a kid.

Not only are kids getting poisoned by fattening food in schools and having their health ignored by their parents, but now a new obesity drug is showing more and more signs that it's dangerous to the brain. Read the article: New Anti-Obesity Drugs Could Stunt Kids' Brains.

Seriously, if we just tried to pry kids away from the PS3 or XBox, we'd be doing them and ourselves a huge favor. I think that having them go outside, be social, move around and sweat a little is better than shoving more drugs in their face to fix their problems.

No comments: