4/26/08

Writing

I've been on quite the Ray Bradbury kick lately. Today I picked up Dandelion Wine. Last night I read a short story of his. Each time I read his words, my mind thinks, "This man is a wordsmith like no other." He can weave such amazing stories, long and short, on topics that are mundane to fantastic. I must admit I covet his lush imagination and his ability to manifest stories as diverse as wildlife in a rain forest.

In honor of him, I thought I'd look up a couple of his quotations. What I found made me realize that I have not been true to myself. I have not been writing as much as I should (which by all accounts is every single day.) Here are some of the quotes that pulled me back to reality and made me reevaluate myself as a writer. In fact, some of these quotes evoked shame. It is terrible that I've neglected my craft so long.

"You fail only if you stop writing."

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

"Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for."

"I know you've heard it a thousand times before. But it's true - hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don't love something, then don't do it."


Thank you, Mr. Bradbury. I will write what I love. I will write something to live for.

No comments: