4/8/08

Detroit High Schools: Bottom of the Heap

Yesterday someone told me that they felt sorry for me. As a resident of Detroit back when I was 14 years old, I had two options: go to Detroit Public Schools or opt for the "school-of-choice" program, where I could go to a suburban school participating in the program. My family and I quickly chose the latter. Even though we didn't have solid evidence Detroit high schools were bad, we had a pretty strong gut feeling.

My friend and I went to the same high school and he thought that high school was so terrible, that he felt bad that I chose it over Detroit schools. Yesterday, I didn't have solid evidence to tell my friend that he underestimated how bad Detroit schools were, but I knew. Another pretty strong gut feeling helped me to the same conclusion.

Today I got my solid evidence. Detroit high schools were discussed at the Bloggers' Roundtable on NPR's News and Notes. I listened to the entire show (News and Notes 4/7/08), but the segment on the D's flailing school system was particular interesting.

The Detroit News had an ARTICLE about the study. You will find everyone in the article denying the facts, which is so sad, yet so very predictable.

No comments: