6/16/07

Tattoos - no thanks.

For the longest time, I grappled with the idea of getting a tattoo. I wanted something like "Knowledge will protect me" written in Latin or an ibis, which is a bird that represents Thoth, the Egyptian God of scribes. These things seemed so true to who I am and they seemed like something that I would never regret.

Fact is, never say never.

I read an
article in the New York Times today about how tattoo removal is getting better, but that it is quite expensive and it feels like someone is snapping rubber bands on your skin. The procedure can leave shadows or white spots on your skin. Further, it can take up to 30 sessions to get big stuff removed.

So, let me get this straight...it hurts to get tattooed. There is still quite the stigma attached with tattoos. It's still very difficult to remove them. And life changes quickly and constantly. Although I don't foresee myself ever turning my back on knowledge, I can picture myself regretting the decision to have it inked into my skin, even if the article says that there's some ink that is easier to remove coming out on the market.

Besides, so many people are getting tattoos that it's really not that unique. It's soooo 2000.

No comments: